IRS Form W2 For 2022
- No Annual Subscription
- Quick Processing
- No Hidden Charges
Federal Form W2, Wage and Tax Statements
Updated on August 29, 2022 - 10:30am by, TaxBandits
Employers running businesses in the US must file W-2, Wage and Tax Statements, with the SSA, and a form copy must be sent to the employees every year. The Form W2 is used to report the wages paid to employees and the taxes withheld from their paychecks. This must be issued at the end of the year. All full-time employees are subject to
Now, you may have many questions regarding W-2, like how to file W-2, when are the deadlines, and so on. In this article, we will address all the information you should know about Form W-2 for 2022.
Here, we cover the following topics:
- What is a W2 Form?
- Who must file IRS Form W2?
- When is the deadline to file Form W2 Forms for 2022 Tax Year?
- Which states mandate the filing of Form W2?
- What are the different W-2 Filing methods?
- How Do I Fill Out a W2?
- What are the Form W-2 Copies?
- What if I realize that I filed an incorrect W-2?
- What are the W-2 penalties for 2022?
- Where to mail Form W-2 paper copies?
- E-filing W-2s with TaxBandits
1. What is a W2 Form?
Form W2 is an annual tax return that must be submitted to the SSA by the employers. This form reports the wages paid and the Federal and State taxes withheld from the employees’ paycheck. The SSA will use the W2 information to determine the Social Security benefits for each employee.
For each employee, you must file this form with the SSA. A copy of the form must also be
furnished to the employee.
Note: Don’t File a W2 for independent contractors/vendors, instead, 1099 forms must be filed.
2. Who must file IRS Form W2?
Employers must file Form W-2, if:
- They withheld any income, social security, or Medicare Tax from wages regardless of the
amount of wages.
- They paid $600 or more in wages even if there was no withheld income, social security, or Medicare tax.
Details such as SSN, EIN, wages, bonuses, tips, and taxes withheld must be reported in Form W-2. Employers must also report Income, Social Security, or Medicare taxes withheld. While submitting Form W-2 to the SSA, employers must attach Form W-3, a summary form. Form W-3 is not required when submitting
3. When is the deadline to file Form W2 Forms for 2022 Tax Year?
The SSA requires employers to submit their W2s on or before January 31. The W2 form copies should be sent to employees before January 31. If you fail to file W-2 with the SSA or furnish employee copies, you will be
subject to penalties.
Form W2 deadlines - 2022
|Form Type||E-filing||Paper filing||Employee copy deadline|
|Form W2||January 31, 2023||January 31, 2023||January 31, 2023|
Note: If the Form W-2 deadline falls on a weekend or federal holiday, the next business day is the deadline.
4. Which states mandate the filing of
For the tax year 2022, 40 states have mandated the filing of W-2 forms. Each state follows its own set of rules for the filing of W2. Based on your state requirements, you may have to file W-2s and other reconciliation forms with the state. To learn more about your state W-2 filing requirement, click here.
5. What are the different W-2 Filing methods?
The SSA provides two different methods for filing W-2. One is electronic filing, and the other method is paper filing. If you decide to paper file, you should attach W-3 with your Form W2 and send it to the SSA. When filing electronically, W-3 is not required, and the SSA processes your forms at a faster rate. Comparing these two methods, e-filing is more convenient and offers many advantages. E-filing is:
- Easy and straightforward
- Accurate and error-free
- Allows for tracking of the return status
IRS recommends filers to E-File Form W-2 for a quick filing process. You can now E-File Form W2 with TaxBandits in Minutes. Also, We deliver Employee Copies via Postal Mail and Online Access. E-file Now
6. How Do I Fill Out Form W2?
The IRS provides complete instructions to fill out Form W2. Each box of the form should be filled with the appropriate information in order to be accepted by the SSA.
To fill out Form W-2, you must have the following details.
- Employee’s Social Security Number (SSN)
- Employer identification number (EIN)
- Wages, tips, other compensation
- Federal income tax withheld
- Social security wages
- Social security tax withheld
- Medicare wages and tips
- Medicare tax withheld
- Social security tips
- Allocated tips
- Employee’s address and ZIP code
- State Employer’s state ID number
- State wages, tips, etc.
- State income tax
- Local wages, tips, etc.
- Local income tax
- Locality name
7. What are the Form W-2 Copies?
These are the available Form W-2 copies:
- Copy A - To be sent to Social Security Administration
- Copy 1 - To be sent to City, State, or Locality
- Copy B - To be filed with Employee’s Federal Tax Return
- Copy C - For employee's records
- Copy 2 - To be filed with Employee’s State, City, or LocalIncome Tax Return
- Copy D - For employer's records
8. What if I realize that I filed an
If you made a mistake on Form W-2, you must file Form W-2c. Form W-2c is a correction form used by employers to correct the errors made on the previously submitted W-2s. Employers must also file W-3c with W-2c. A copy of W-2c should be sent to employees once you file correction forms.
The SSA requires that employers attach W-3c with W-2c even if they only file a Form W-2c to correct an employee's name or Social Security number (SSN).
Tips to avoid W-2 errors
- Make sure to enter the correct EIN, SSN, and tax year.
- Make sure you report the wages, tips, and withheld tax amount accurately.
- File Form W-2 on or before the deadline to avoid penalties
- File Form W-2c as soon as you find errors on your previously submitted W-2s
9. What are the W-2 penalties for 2022?
The SSA will penalize you if you fail to file W-2s or distribute employee copies, you will be subject to penalties. The penalties related to W-2 are listed below:
|Days delayed for filing
Form W2 /furnishing employee copies
|Large Businesses with Gross Receipts of $5 Million or more||Small Businesses with Gross Receipts $5 Million or less|
|Less than 30 days late||$50 per return||$50 per return|
|31 days late – August 1||$110 per return||$110 per return|
|After August 1 or Not at All||$290 per return||$290 per return|
|Intentional Disregard||$580 per return||$580 per return|
10. Where to mail Form W-2 paper copies?
If you are paper filing Form W-2, you need to mail W-2 paper copies to the following address:
- Social Security Administration
- Direct Operations Center
- Wilkes-Barre, PA 18769-0001
Click here, to get more information on the Form W-2 mailing address.
11. E-filing W-2s with TaxBandits
Choose TaxBandits as your e-filing partner and experience the following benefits:
- Cost-effective e-filing
- Support for both manual filing and bulk filings
- Inbuilt error checks
- Return status notifications via email
- TIN matching
- Postal Mailing option
- Support of state filing
- Prepaid credits for hassle-free filing
- Employees can view and download their form copies via TaxBandits’
- secure Online
- Access Portal
- API integration to extend your software
- View and download submitted forms at any time for record-keeping
- Data Security and Multi-Factor Authentication measures
- Perfect e-filing solution for businesses of all sizes
Get started with TaxBandits today to e-file your Form W2!
Success Starts with TaxBandits
The Smart Business Owners Choice
Easy navigation, easy to use and follow. Love web-base platform so no software is required for installation. It’s the selling point, in my opinion.- Hanh T
Reminds me of upcoming deadlines and auto-calculates the totals as required. Simplifies filling and download of pdf forms.- Stacey D
Easy and reasonably priced. Great customer service!- Allen Cohen
I’m quite impressed, especially in comparison with other sites from the IRS list I reviewed as well. Well done. Thank you.- Igor Mandryka
Very easy to find my way around, most help features are very good, customer service response has been exceptional for the price point.- Jerry Morris