Montana 1099 State Filing Requirements
- The Montana Department of Revenue mandates the filing of 1099 forms, including 1099-NEC, 1099-MISC, 1099-INT, 1099-DIV, 1099-R, 1099-B, 1099-G, 1099-K, 1099-OID, and W-2G
- The State of Montana also mandates the filing of Form MW-3, Montana Annual W-2 1099 Withholding , Tax Reconciliation.
Deadline to file Form 1099-NEC isJanuary 31, 2023.
Deadline to file other 1099 Form and MW-3 isMarch 31, 2023.
TaxBandits supports the filing of Form 1099 with both the Federal and State of Montana.
Q. Does Montana require 1099 filing?
A. Yes, the Montana Department of Revenue mandates the filing, If the Payer makes a distribution to a Montana resident or Montana business.
Q. What types of 1099 forms need to be filed with the State of Montana?
A. Montana requires the filing of the following 1099 forms
Q. Does Montana require the filing of Form 1099-NEC?
A. Yes. The State of Montana requires Form 1099-NEC to be filed, If the Payer makes a distribution to a Montana resident or Montana business.
Q. Does Montana require any additional forms to be submitted when filing 1099 forms?
A. Yes, the State of Montana requires additional forms to be submitted with 1099 regardless of the filing method. Whether you e-file or paper file your 1099, you should attach Form MW-3.
Note: When you E-File Form 1099 with TaxBandits, you need to take care of Reconciliation Form MW-3.
Q. When is Montana 1099 due?
A. The deadline to file 1099s with the state of Montana is January 31.
Note:If the deadline falls on a weekend or federal holiday, the next business day is the deadline.
Q. Can I e-file 1099 forms with Montana?
A. Yes, the state supports the e-filing of 1099, e-filing is actually required when you file 250 or more forms.
If you’re looking for an e-file service provider, check out TaxBandits. We support all the 1099s you may need to file with Montana.
Q. What are the 1099 penalties for Montana?
A. Montana charges a penalty for the following:
Late filing of 1099
- If you fail to file 1099 by the deadline, the penalties will be applicable as below:
- Minimum of $50, or
- 5% of your unpaid taxes per month
- Maximum of 25% of your unpaid taxes
Not paying the withheld taxes on time
- If you fail to pay the full taxes by the deadline, you will be charged as below:
- 0.5% per month, up to 12% of the unpaid taxes, or
- 1.5% per month, up to 15% of the unpaid taxes
- If you have made an underpayment, you will be charged 20% of your unpaid taxes as a penalty.
Learn more about Form 1099 penalties.
Q. Where do I mail 1099 forms when filing with the State of Montana?
A. You are allowed to mail the 1099 form copies only when you file less than 250 forms. It is mandatory to e-file 1099s if you file 250 or more.
To help you with the e-filing of 1099, TaxBandits is here. We support both manual entry and bulk uploading of your form details. You can also import 1099 details directly from your XERO and QuickBooks accounts for easy e-filing. Plus, we distribute 1099 form copies to payees/recipients via postal mail if needed.
If you wish to paper file 1099, you must attach MW-3 and send it to the address below: