Montana Form W-2 & MW-3 Filing Requirements

The State of Montana Mandates W-2 Filing!

Montana State Filing

Select your State for W-2 Reporting Requirements

TaxBandits for Every Business

Montana W-2 State Filing Requirements

  • The Form W-2, Wage and Tax Statement should be filed with the State of Montana.
  • The State of Montana also mandates the filing of Form MW-3, Montana Annual W-2 1099 Withholding Tax Reconciliation.

Deadline to file Form W-2 and
Form MW-3 is

January 31, 2024.

TaxBandits is here to help you with the Federal and State filing of Form W-2.

Q. Does Montana require W-2 filing?

A. Yes, the Montana Department of Revenue requires Forms W2 filing only if there is a state tax withholding.

Q. Does Montana require any additional forms to be submitted while filing W-2?

A. Yes, the state of Montana requires you to submit Form MW-3 (Montana Annual W-2 Withholding Tax Reconciliation) with your W-2 regardless of the
filing method.

To e-file your W-2, check out TaxBandits. We support the filing of W-2 with the SSA and state of Montana. We provide e-filing solutions for both small and large businesses.

Note: When you E-file Form W2 with TaxBandits, you need to take care of the reconciliation Form MW-3

Q. What is the deadline to file W-2 with Montana?

A. The filing deadline for Form W2 and Form MW-3 with Montana is January 31.

Note: If the deadline falls on a weekend or federal holiday, the next business day is the deadline.

Q. Can I electronically file W-2 with Montana?

A. Yes, Montana provides an option to e-file W-2. Employers filing more than 250 W-2s are required to
file electronically.

If you’re looking for an e-file service provider, check out TaxBandits. We support the filing of W-2 with the SSA and state of Montana.

Q. What are the W-2 penalties for Montana?

A. The state of Montana imposes penalties for the following:

  • Late filing of W-2s
  • Late payment of withheld taxes
  • Underpayment
  • Not filing W-2 on time
    • Failure to file W-2 on time will result in penalties. The penalty would be:
    • Minimum of $50, or
    • 5% of your unpaid taxes per month
    • Maximum of 25% of your
      unpaid taxes.
  • Late payment of withheld taxes
    • If you have not paid your taxes on time, you may be charged the following penalties:
    • 0.5% per month, up to 12% of the unpaid taxes, or
    • 1.5% per month, up to 15% of the unpaid taxes
  • Underpayment
    • For underpayment, the penalty is 20% of the unpaid taxes.

Learn more about Form W-2 penalties.

Q. Can I file W-2c with the State of Montana?

A. Yes, you can file correction form W-2c if you identify errors on the previously filed W-2s. Montana accepts both the paper filing and e-filing of W-2c. When submitting W-2c, you must attach an amended MW-3.

Q. Where do I mail W-2 forms when filing with the State
of Montana?

A. You should only mail W-2 copies to the state if you plan to file less than 250 forms. If you file more than 250 forms, you must e-file them.

Want to e-file your W-2s? TaxBandits can help you with this! We are an IRS-certified e-file provider supporting the e-filing of Form W-2 with the Federal and Montana.

If you still want to paper file W-2, complete W-2 & MW-3 and mail them to the following address.

Get started with TaxBandits today and stay compliant with the State of Montana! Start Filing Now

More FAQs on W-2 State Filings

Success Starts with TaxBandits

The Smart Business Owners Choice

Create a Free Account