How to File Form 15397 for 2023 Tax Year
Enter Form Details
Choose the form type for which you need an extension and enter the required data.
Review the Form
Once completed, review the draft form and make sure the information entered is correct
Download, Print & Fax
Download the completed form, print, and fax the form to the IRS.
Download your Form 15397 in minutes with TaxBandits
What Information is Required to Complete Extension Form 15397?
In order to complete your extension Form 15397, you’ll need the following information:
- 1. Transmitter’s information.
- 2. The type of form for which the extension is filed
- 3. Reason for applying extension
Amazing Features that Simplify Form 8868 Filing for Nonprofits and Tax Professionals
Internal Audit Check
To ensure accurate returns, our built-in error-checking system will check the completed form for errors.
We have a team of experts available to resolve your queries via live chat, phone, and email.
You will be notified of your 8868 return status via email or Phone.
Easy and Nick was very helpful and patient with me. I appreciate the service I received. The cost is very good. Thanks to all that help me e-file my tax reports.
First time use TaxBandits, they are rapid response, very professional, I will continue to use TaxBandits for all my tax filling
Love Tax Bandits! They make my accounting life easier.
Easy to use service and website. They make filing for my small business quick and easy. Their customer support is responsive and thorough. Thank you!
I just filed my one and only 1099 NEC with the help of TaxBandits and everything went absolutely smoothly. I'm using TaxBandits for my 941 quarterly reports and my W-2 filings and love the service.
This is my 2nd year of using TaxBandits to file 1099-NEC forms. Process is straightforward, and their system checks for errors, specifying what the errors are so you can fix them. I'm satisfied.
Frequently Asked Questions about Form 15397
What is Form 15397?
IRS Form 15397 is used to request an extension of up to 30 days to furnish copies of 1099, W2, ACA, 5498, and other information returns to your recipients.
It’s important to note that Form 15397 will only extend the recipient copy deadline of these forms and doesn't extend your IRS filing deadline.
If you need an extension for filing 1099, W-2, and other information returns, you should file Form 8809.
What are the forms whose deadlines I can extend using Form 15397?
The deadline to distribute the recipient copies of following forms can be extended using Form 15397:
|List of Forms
|1097, 1098, 1099, 3921, 3922, W-2G
- If any due date falls on a Saturday, Sunday, or legal holiday, file by the next business day.
- Any approved extension of time to file and furnish recipient copies will only extend the due date for furnishing statements to the payee or recipient. It does not extend the due date for filing information returns with the IRS.
When is the due date to file Form 15397?
Form 15397 should be filed on or before the original recipient copy deadline of the respective information returns. However, Form 15397 can not be filed before January 1st.
For example, if you need to extend the recipient copy deadline for 1099-NEC, you must file Form 15937 on or before January 31, 2024.
When Can I file Form 15397?
As per the IRS instructions, the Extension Form 15397 can be filed only under the following circumstances:
- The filer suffered from a catastrophic event in a federally declared disaster area that made the filer unable to resume operations or made necessary records unavailable
- Fire, casualty, or natural disaster affected the operation of the filer
- Death, serious illness, or unavoidable absence of the individual responsible for filing the information returns affected the operation of the filer
- The filer was in the first year of establishment
- The sender did not obtain timely data for a payee statement, such as Schedule K-1, Form 1042-S, or the statement of sick pay as mandated by section 31.6051-3(a)(1), resulting in the inability to generate an accurate information return.
How to file Form 15397?
You can fill out and fax the form to:
P.O. Box 29009,
Phoenix, AZ 85038-9009
Get started with TaxBandits to Complete and download your Form 15397 in minutes!