irs-authorized W-2c e-file provider SSA-authorized W2 e-file provider

E-file Form W-2c with our Software

Pricing starts as low as $1.99/Form. View Pricing

What is Form W-2c?

Form W-2c is used to correct errors on previously filed W-2 forms. Errors like an incorrect name, SSN, or amount, made on any Form W-2 or W-2c filed previously with the SSA can be corrected by filing a Form W-2c. Form W-2c is also used to provide employees with a corrected copy.

If you file 250 or more W-2c Forms during a calendar year, you must file electronically unless the IRS grants you a waiver. If you fail to file your Form W-2c electronically, penalties may be applied.

Are you ready to file your W2 Form? Get started with TaxBandits & file your W-2 Forms online in a matter of minutes. You can file for both the current & prior year with us. Start E-Filing Now!

When Should I File Form W-2c?

There is no specific deadline for filing Form W-2c, however, the IRS suggests that you file as soon as you discover the error(s) on your original Form W-2 or W-2c form. Keep in mind that employees usually expect corrections to be made prior to filing their income tax returns with the IRS.

What is the Penalty for Filing Incorrect W-2 Forms?

Start E-Filing Now

What Information Can I Correct With Form W-2c?

Form W-2c is used to make several types of corrections, such as:

  • Incorrect tax year
  • Incorrect employee names or Social Security Numbers
  • Incorrect employee earnings or tax withholdings:
    • Wages, Tips and Other Compensation
    • Social Security Wages, tips, & tax withheld
    • Federal Income Tax Withheld
    • Allocated Tips, Dependent Care Benefits

Do you need to correct any of the above on a W-2 you already filed? Start your corrections with TaxBandits now!

How To File Form W-2c with our e-filing software?

Making a correction to a previously filed Form W-2 or W-2c with the IRS/SSA is simple now. TaxBandits allows you to correct common errors on your Form W-2 in minutes– even if you filed your original W-2 return with any other provider.

The W-2 Correction Form (W-2c) can be filed electronically through TaxBandits in few simple steps:

  • Create or sign in to your TaxBandits account
  • Choose "Form W-2c"
  • Choose previously filed type
    • Enter employee details if you filed with other providers
    • Choose employee details from your address book if you are a TaxBandits user
  • Enter previously reported details and the corrected information
  • Review W-2c Form Summary
  • Transmit to the SSA

You are required to file Form W-3c (transmittal form for Form W-2c) when you transmit W-2c forms to the SSA. This form is automatically generated for you when you e-file Form W-2c with TaxBandits, and we will also take care of mailing the corrected W-2c Forms to your employees.

How are State/local Correction Information (In Boxes 15 through 20) forwarded to the State/local?

If you change the original Form W-2 in the state or local field, do not send Copy A of Form W-2c to the SSA. Instead, send Form W-2c to the appropriate state or local agency and furnish copies to your employees. Please be sure that Form W2 corrections are not forwarded to the state/local as there is no specific data sharing program between the federal and state/local.

Contact your state or locality for more information regarding the correction of state/local information on your Form W-2. Find the mailing address of your state to send the Corrected W-2 forms to your state agencies.

Customer Testimonials

People also visited:

Form W-2c Resources


Find answers to commonly asked questions!

Check Now


Helpful Blogs for Successful Business Owners

Read Now

Help Videos

Watch helpful step-by-step tutorials

Watch Now

Success Starts with TaxBandits

The Smart Business Owners Choice