IRS Form 1099-R
Instructions for 2021 Tax Year
- No Annual Subscriptions Fees
- No Reconciliation Charges
- No Hidden Charges
Form 1099-R - Line by Line Instructions
Updated on December 7, 2021 - 10:30am by Admin, TaxBandits
Form 1099-R is used to report distributions from a variety of retirement accounts and benefits. Some of these include IRAs, pensions, annuities, profit sharing, and insurance contracts. Here is a helpful overview of the Form 1099-R.
1. Form 1099-R Overview?
Forms 1099-R must be filed with the IRS each year to report this information, they must also be distributed to the account holders for their financial records. Financial institutions that have made a distribution of $10 or more from the retirement plans and benefits listed above, should report the amounts on Form 1099-R. Payments of reportable death benefits must also be included on Form 1099-R, as well as any reportable disability payments.
2. Form 1099-R Boxes
In total, Form 1099-R has 19 boxes. Here is an overview of the information that must be entered in each one.
- Box 1 is used to report the Gross Distributions. This is the amount of the distribution before income taxes or withholdings were applied.
- Box 2a is reserved for the taxable amount of the distribution.
- Box 2b is used to indicate the total distribution, if the amount in Box 1 is the total distribution, enter an x in Box 2b.
- In Box 3, enter any amount that is taxable as a capital gain.
- In Box 4, enter the federal income tax that was withheld.
- In Box 5, enter the employees’ contributions, Roth IRA contributions, or insurance premiums that the employee is able to recover tax free.
- In Box 6, enter the net unrealized appreciation, this includes securities of the employer’s securities.
- In Box 7, use the appropriate distribution. Check if the distribution is from an IRA, SEP, or SIMPLE IRA.
- In Box 8, enter the current actuarial value of an annuity contract that is part of a lump-sum distribution. This amount should not be included in boxes 1 or 2a.
- If the distribution was made to more than one individual, enter the amount paid to the person whose name is on this Form 1099-R in Box 9a. This does not apply to IRA distributions or direct rollovers.
- Enter the total contributions made by the employee in Box 9b if applicable. This is not required information, but may be helpful for the employee.
- Enter the amount allocable to an IRR, if applicable, in Box 10.
- Enter the first year that the Roth IRA was established by this recipient in Box 11.
- If you are an FFI reporting a cash value insurance contract or annuity contract that is a U.S. account, as required under section 6047(d), indicate this in Box 12. This indicates that there is a FATCA requirement.
- If reportable death benefits were paid, enter the date of the payment in Box 13.
- In Boxes 14-19 all state and local information is reported.
TaxBandits supports the secure and accurate filing of Form 1099-R Forms with the IRS and State. We also offer solutions for the distribution of your recipient copies. E-file Form 1099-R Now
3. What Are The Requirements For Filing Form 1099-R?
Distributions of $10 or more from retirement plans and benefits are required to be reported on Form 1099-R as well as reportable death benefits and reportable disability payments. The financial institution or business entity that makes these distributions and reportable payments must complete and file Form 1099-R by March 31 and recipient copies should be distributed by January 31.
4. What Are The Form 1099-R Copies?
There are five different copies of the Form 1099-R that both payers and their recipients should be aware of:
- Copy A: This is the red copy that is submitted to the IRS
- Copy 1: This is submitted to the State Tax Department
- Copy B: This copy is for the recipient
- Copy 2: This copy should be filed (by the recipient) with the recipient’s state income tax return
- Copy C: This copy is for the payer’s records
5. How to E-file 1099 R Forms with TaxBandits
With TaxBandits, e-filing Form 1099-R is easy and accurate, just follow the steps below
to get started:
- Create an account with TaxBandits.
- Select or add the business you are filing for.
- Enter the required Form 1099-R details.
- Review and submit Form 1099-R to the IRS.
Get started with TaxBandits today and stay compliant with the IRS! E-file as low as $0.80/Form
Need a recipient copy solution? TaxBandits has you covered! You can select from our postal mail and online access options.
What is Form 1099-R
The IRS 1099-R Tax Form is used for reporting on distributions from pensions, annuities. Know the complete information
about form 1099-R
Form 1099-R Due Date
Get to know the Form 1099-R due date for 2021 tax year. Know the actual 1099-R deadline. E-file with TaxBandits and get instant IRS approval.