Form 1095-C Line by Line Instructions - Explained
Updated on August 31, 2023 - 10:30 am by, TaxBandits
IRS Form 1095-C is used by Applicable Large Employers (ALEs) to report information about the health insurance coverage provided to their full-time employees and their dependents.
The IRS has released draft Form 1095-C for the 2023 tax year.
Employers should use the 1095-C form to report health coverage information.
To help with your 1095-C filing process, we have provided an overview of the instructions below.
Table of Content:
1. Instructions on How to Fill Out Form 1095-C
Form 1095-C consists of 3 parts in total.
- Part 1: Employee and Applicable Large Employer
- Part 2: Employee Offer of Coverage
- Part 3: Covered Individuals
Here are the instructions on how to complete each part of the form.
Part I - Employee and Applicable Large Employer
Part I of 1095-C is comprised of two sections that report employee and employer information. Here is how you can fill in the employee details on Form 1095-C, Part I.
In this part, you are required to provide basic information about the employee.
Enter the name of your employee (first name, initial, last name).
Enter the employee’s Social Security Number (SSN).
Enter the employee’s street address, including the apartment number.
Enter the employee’s city or town.
Enter the employee’s state, or province
Enter the employee’s country and ZIP or foreign postal code.
Details about Applicable Large Employer (ALE)
In this part, you need to enter the basic details of the Applicable Large Employer.
Enter the name of the employer.
Enter the Employer Identification Number (EIN).
Enter the employer’s street address, including room or suite number.
Enter the employer’s contact telephone number.
Enter the city or town.
Enter the employer’s state or province.
Enter the employer’s state or province.
Part II - Employer Offer of Coverage
In this part, you should enter the health insurance coverage details offered to the employee.
Line 14 (Offer of Coverage):
1095-C Codes (1A-1U) are used to describe the health insurance coverage offered to your employee. There are 21 codes available, and you should enter the applicable one based on the type of coverage offered.
Line 15 (Employee Required Contribution)
- This line should only be completed when the code on line 14 is 1B, 1C, 1D, 1E, 1J, 1K, 1L, 1M, 1N, 1O, 1P, or 1Q.
- Enter the Employee Required Contribution, which is the employee’s monthly share of the lowest-cost self-only minimum essential coverage providing the minimum value that you offered your employee.
Line 16 (Section 4980H Safe Harbor and Other Relief)
- Enter the code related to Section 4980H Safe Harbor and Other Relief.
- There are 11 different codes to be entered on this line, where each one defines the type of coverage provided to the employee in the previous year and how the employer meets the employer-shared provisions of Section 4980H.
- The code you enter provides the IRS information to administer the employer-shared provisions.
Learn more about Form 1095-C Codes
Enter the ZIP code that you used to calculate the employee’s affordability. Only complete this if you have provided individual coverage HRA to the employee.
Contact our sister product ACAwise, a full-service, end-to-end ACA reporting software that includes ACA code generation and e-filing forms with the IRS and the states. ACAwise also distributes employee copies on your behalf if required.
Part III - Covered Individuals
- This section should only be completed if you offer employer-sponsored, self-insured health coverage, including an individual coverage HRA.
- The individual’s details, including any full-time employee and non-full-time employee, and any employee’s family members enrolled under the employer’s health plan should be listed here.
- The details include name, SSN, and DOB. If they are covered for all 12 months, check the box “Covered all 12 months”. If the employee was only covered for a few months of the year, check all of the applicable boxes.
The DOB should only be entered if the SSN or TIN is not available.
Line 18 - 30
Enter the following information for the individuals covered under the plan.
- (a) Name of covered individual(s) - Enter the name of the individuals covered under the employer’s health plan.
- (b) SSN or other TIN - Enter their SSN or other TIN.
- (c) DOB - Enter the individual’s DOB if no SSN or TIN is available.
- (d) Covered all 12 months - If the health plan is provided for all 12 months, check this box.
- (e) Months of coverage - If the health plan was only provided for a few months in a year, check the applicable boxes.
2. E-file your Form 1095-C Effortlessly with TaxBandits
TaxBandits offers a simple solution for e-filing Form 1095-C for the 2023 & 2022 tax year, complete with time-saving features.
- We are an IRS-certified e-file provider supporting 1095-c filing with the IRS and state.
- We also offer postal mailing and secure online access options for your employee copy distribution.
- TaxBandits offers dedicated live support via live chat, phone, and email.
Get started with TaxBandits today and stay compliant with the IRS!
Success Starts with TaxBandits
The Smart Business Owners Choice
Easy navigation, easy to use and follow. Love web-base platform so no software is required for installation. It’s the selling point, in my opinion.
- Hanh T
Reminds me of upcoming deadlines and auto-calculates the totals as required. Simplifies filling and download of pdf forms.
- Stacey D
Easy and reasonably priced. Great customer service!
- Allen Cohen
I’m quite impressed, especially in comparison with other sites from the IRS list I reviewed as well. Well done. Thank you.
- Igor Mandryka
Very easy to find my way around, most help features are very good, customer service response has been exceptional for the price point.
- Jerry Morris