FAQs on Form 1099 MISC

What type of rents are required to be reported on Form 1099-MISC?

Enter amounts of $600 or more for all types of rents, including the following: Real estate rentals paid for office space. However, you do not have to report these payments on Form 1099-MISC if you paid them to a real estate agent. The real estate agent must then use Form 1099-MISC to report the rent paid over to the property owner. Machine rentals (i.e., renting a bulldozer to level a parking lot). If the machine rental is part of a contract that includes both the use of the machine and the operator, prorate the rental between the rent of the machine (reported in box 1) and the operator's charge (reported as nonemployee compensation in box 7). Pasture rentals (i.e., farmers paying for the use of grazing land). Public housing agencies must report in box 1 rental assistance payments made to owners of housing projects. See Rev. Rul. 88-53, 1988-1 C.B. 384.

Last modified 26 Jul 2017 16:07 EST

Success Starts with TaxBandits

The Smart Business Owners Choice

Access our resource center for more
information about tax relief due to
COVID-19. Visit Now